In 1591, the Municipality of Guiguinto was one of the territorial classifications of the Spaniards known as "Encomienda" referring to the parcelarization of land or taxation purposes.
Known by its ancient name "Ma-Yi" the province of Bulacan is believed to have been settled for a long time before the Spanish Explorer came to the Philippines. These settlements were organized by the Spaniards by the early towns called "Pueblos" which include the town of Guiguinto. Guiguinto was founded in 1641.
In 1903, the twenty-five (25) municipalities of Bulacan were reduced to thirteen (13). With this consolidation, Guiguinto became a part of the municipality of Bulacan. Since then, several other divisions and modification have been done on the territorial boundaries of the towns in the province of Bulacan. However, on December 24, 1914, Governor-General Francis Burton Harrison issued order Ejecutiva No.126 (Executive order no. 126) separating Guiguinto from the Municipality of Bulakan, Bulacan. Hence on January 1, 1915 Guiguinto started to be recognized as an independent Municipality at present, Guiguinto covers 14 Barangays with a total land area of 2,512 hectares.
From a predominantly agricultural Municipality, Guiguinto has gradually urbanized and developed into a first class municipality based on income classification. This is due to the growth in light industries and commercial establishments as a result of the overspill of the urbanization in Malolos and Metro-Manila. Guiguinto is also known for its small-scale garden that is now gradually expanding.
The appellation "Guiguinto" literally translates to "Gold" for the early conquistadores came and saw this town on a harvest season when it lushes in golden rice stalks against the sun. Through the pages of history, Guiguinto gave justice to its label for it proved to be of great political worth, abounding in agricultural riches and of strategic import since the times of the Encomienda in the 1590's, to being a Pueblo in 1641, to its establishment as a legit Town in 1915 through Executive Order No. 126 by then Governor General Francis Burton Harrison.
"Guiguinto is the Heart of Bulacan." There are about 71,636 hospitable and hardworking people in Guiguinto in its 14 barangays. Wherever you go, smiles would surely greet you. Friendly faces are always ready to lend a hand or usher you to our industries, commerce and warehouses Historical Landmarks and Tourists' Spots also thrive for those who want to share with our heritage or unwind to a weekend get-away. Guiguinteños on the whole are peace loving and God-fearing. The very reason why the town boasts of a very minimal crime rate and a 100% track record with regards to solving reported transgressions. Guiguinto is truly the heart of Bulacan not only in the geographical sense of it but more so because of its gleaming people.
Old Train Station
Built in 1661, the Estacion de Guiguinto (Guiguinto Train Station) is the towns most acclaimed historical landmark and heritage site. It was upon this site that the Katipuneros (Filipino guerillas during the Spanish Regime) ambushed a train from Dagupan, killing six friars, including the parish friar of Guiguinto, Fr. Leocadio Sanchez, and a Spanish doctor. The incident inspired Severino Reyes to author the novel “Opera Walang Sugat” which was later made into a movie entitled “Walang Sugat.